Saturday, September 29, 2012

Catching Colds in Cancun

I'm battling a pretty nasty cold. I also had a bad cold a few months ago. So, to recap: I've had two of the worst colds of my life in the past 6 months.

That would not normally seem that strange. But I've been living in Cancun for six months. And it's been spring and summer here! It has rarely dropped below 80 degress and ~80% humidity.

The all-too-common cold virus

I googled around and found a host of people "looking forward to a cold-free season" and boasting about how they've "never had a cold in the Summer."

According an article on fitsugar.com, cold and flu season are definitely associated with the Winter season, and one thing we all look forward to in the Spring and Summer is dodging the fever, stuffy noses, and fatigue associated with the common cold.

While your mother may have told you to bundle up in the Winter to avoid getting sick, it's not the cold weather itself that's to blame for your illness. Viruses cause colds and the flu, and the reason more  people seem to get sick in cold weather has to do with humidity levels in the air. Viruses favor low humidity levels that you find in colder weather (and on airplanes, which explains why many people seem to catch colds after flying), and can survive longer and spread faster. That's why it's recommended to use a humidifier during the Winter months to help prevent getting sick.

One possible explanation? I'm catching colds from other tourists!

Makes sense: My first bad cold hit me right after I arrived. And Jen's brother Greg just visited us for a couple of weeks. (Cold and flu illnesses are certainly more prevalent in Canada and the US. I rarely hear Mexicans sniffling & sneezing.)

Anyway, just a head's up for other tourists: You might want to pack some cold medication. DO NOT ASSUME THAT YOU WON'T FIND YOURSELF NURSING A COLD IN MEXICO. 

One last note: Keeping active is also said to ward off colds. I vanquished my first cold after a 50 km bike ride (to Isla Blanca and back)! Maybe I should try that again...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...